Can You Have an Independent Medical Examination?

If you are hurt on the job, you employer can dictate where you receive treatment. This is done by the employer listing a posted panel of physicians, which means that if your employer provides you a list of doctors that are deemed valid, than these are the doctor’s that the company allows you to visit most times, on the company’s dime, thus dictating your treatment.  It may come as a surprise, but many times the doctor’s that are listed on the panel tend to have the company’s best interest at heart as opposed to yours as the patient. As a patient, the thought of such likely things occurring is not only frightening, but also terrifying.

You may go in to visit one of the approved doctors on the list because you are really hurt and be written off and be sent back to work, and then find yourself in surgery less than a month later. That’s the last thing that you, as a patient and employee, want to happen. Previously, workers were given the right to an independent medical exam. It overall means that an injured employee can ask to be checked out by a doctor that he or she chooses, even if the doctor is not on the list of approved physicians. The visit would still by paid for by the company’s insurance.

The insurance company could overall truly really help your workman’s compensation claim, if it is done effectively. It can be used to fight an unfair claim made by doctors that are on the panel of approved physicians or go against advisement to return to work sooner than is safe for your health. It can also be used to help you receive the proper settlement demand that you deserve. The insurance company will only pay for one independent medical exam. Because of this, it is vital to use the exam wisely, especially if you have more than one injury.

You need to have the injury that is most pressing at the time. If you find yourself in this position, there are a few things that you need to remember. The first is that you only get one independent medical exam, so use it wisely. This could be crucial in your workman’s compensation case. Another thing to keep in mind is that the insurance adjuster is not in the position to tell you when to get your independent medical exam.

Changes are constantly made within the field of employment, so if you plan on filing a workman’s compensation claim, it would be best to seek professional help. It is important to have someone on your side that knows the law and knows how to make it work for you. Michael R. Lawless, P.A., Attorney at Law specializes in these types of case. He provides a free consultation, including evenings and weekends by appointment, at their offices in Lenexa, Kansas or Grandview, Missouri offices. Call today at 1-800-734-3771, 913-681-5566 or 816-966-0099.